Here is my personal list of 10 unmissable things to do in the Yucatan Peninsula!
- Visit Chichén Itzá, the archaeological maya site that is one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World. Every year, during the spring and fall equinoxes, the sun of the late afternoon creates the illusion of a snake creeping slowly down the northern staircase of the Kukulkan Temple, also known as El Castillo.
- Diving into a Cenote. I recommend Ik Kil that is the one in which we dived and it was an incredible experience. The cenote is about 60 metres (200 ft) in diameter and about 40 metres (130 ft) deep (thing that I have discovered only now writing this post and probably if I had known before I would not have the courage to dive!!
- Visit the Xcaret Park, suitable for adults and children. A fantastic adventure that will take you through paths full of animals that scamper free in the park, butterflies of every shape and color, and will enable you to literally walk under water among sea turtles and stingrays.
- Spend an evening at Coco Bongo in Cancun, made famous by the movie The Mask. Every night there are many shows, you can see Elvis, the Queen, going through the Rio carnival and the Pirates of the Caribbean. You can find some clips of the shows in my video at the end of this post!
- Visit the Tulum ruins overlooking the crystal clear sea and a beautiful white beach. Unfortunately we were unlucky because we went in a period in which all the Riviera Maya was invaded by algae and then we didn’t see the white beach but algae everywhere!!
Photo by Bjørn Christian Tørrissen
- Visit and photograph Izamal, the suggestive “yellow city”.
- Swim with sea turtles in Akumal.
- Exploring Isla Mujeres aboard a golf cart and then relax at Playa Norte, the most beautiful beach of the island!
- Spend a day at Xplor adventure park for those who want adrenaline!!
- Diving into the five coral reefs of Cozumel Island.
Photo by www.visitmexico.com
Unfortunately in 10 days we were able to do only 7 things of 10, but at least we have an excuse to return to this paradise! And which of these things have you done in your journey in Yucatan? What would you add on this list? Let us know with a comment! Here you can find the video of our trip: